Here are 10 foods that will increase your metabolism and help you lose weight.
1. Water! A new study indicates that drinking water actually speeds up weight loss. Water is also a natural appetite suppressant that banishes bloat as it flushes out sodium and toxins. Drinking enough water will also help keep you from mistaking thirst for hunger. So drink up!
2. Green Tea! Studies show that green tea extract boosts metabolism and may aid in weight loss. This mood-enhancing tea has also been reported to contain anti-cancer properties and help prevent heart disease.
3. Soup! Eat less and burn fat faster by having a bowl of soup as an appetizer or a snack. Soup is a super appetite suppressant because itís made up of a hunger-satisfying combination of liquids and solids.
4. Grapefruit! The grapefruit diet is not a myth. The unique chemical properties in this citrus fruit reduce insulin levels, which promotes weight loss. NOTE: If you are taking medication, check with your doctor about any potentially adverse interactions with grapefruit.
5. Apples and Pears! Overweight women who ate the equivalent of three small apples or pears a day lost more weight on a low-calorie diet than women who didnít add fruit to their diet, according to researchers. Fruit eaters also ate fewer calories overall.
6. Broccoli! Study after study links calcium and weight loss. Broccoli is not only high in calcium, but also loaded with vitamin C, which boosts calcium absorption. At just 20-calories per cup, this weight-loss superfood not only fights fat but also contains powerful phytochemicals that boost your immunity and protect against disease.
7. Low-Fat Yogurt! Dairy products can boost weight loss efforts. People on a reduced-calorie diet who included three to four servings of dairy foods lost significantly more weight than those who ate a low-dairy diet containing the same number of calories. Low-fat yogurt is a rich source of weight-loss-friendly calcium, as well as 12 grams of protein. As far as superfoods go Yogurt is right up there.
8. Lean Turkey! Rev up your fat-burning engine with this bodybuilder favorite. Studies show that protein helps boost metabolism, and builds lean muscle tissue so you burn more calories.
9. Oatmeal! It ranks high on the good carb list, because itís a good source of fat-soluble fiber that keeps you full and provides you with the energy you need to make the most of your workouts. Be sure to choose steel cut or rolled oats, not instant oatmeal.
10. Hot Peppers! Eating hot peppers can speed up your metabolism and cool your cravings. Capsaicin, the chemical found in hot peppers, temporarily stimulates your body to release more stress hormones, which speeds up your metabolism and causes you to burn more calories. If you don't like eating hot peppers you can buy powdered cayenne in capsules.
Quick List: Water, Green Tea, Soup, Grapefruit, Apples and Pears, Broccoli, Low-Fat Yogurt, Lean Turkey, Oatmeal, Hot Peppers